Little Green Footballs

Friday, July 29, 2005

The New Constitution

At the request of artist Graeme MacKay, we have removed the image of his cartoon depicting the Iraqi constitutional congress dominated by Shi'ite fundamentalists like those in Iran.

LGF Watch would like to assure Mr. Mackay that we respect his copyright, and furthermore, that we enjoy his work and don't findit the least bit racist -- unlike some of the people who leave comments here. Comments do not necessarily reflect the views of LGF Watch.

Thanks, finally, to faithful reader 'LGF Watch Watcher' for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate your help.

4 comments:

Pablo said...

So, this is a picture of muslims writing a constitution, right?

Wow. That's a first. No wait! It's the second time.

Discuss.

Pablo said...

::crickets::

Pablo said...

The following was forwarded to me with a request that I bring it to your attention. Apparently, the cartooinst whose work you appropriated here is not impressed with your use of his cartoon.

Thanks xxxxxxx,

I really don't like it when people fail to ask before posting my work

Would you do me a favour and publish the following comment? I tried signing in to do it myself but ran into technical difficulties. I'd really appreciate it:

This was drawn by Graeme MacKay, from The Hamilton Spectator, in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Website http://www.mackaycartoons.net Firstly... I drew the cartoon following elections in Iraq where the shiite parties were poised to take power in the new national assembly. The cartoon was in reaction to the news that Shiite clerics were pushing for Islam to be enshrined in the new constitution. It didn't exactly go as the occupying forces had planned -- the idea of a secular constitution based on the American model of 1789. It's satire. How this can be construed as racist beats me. Secondly... if you're going to post stuff created by others show some common courtesy and credit the person/agency by linking back to the site where you got your info. That's all I ask.

If anyone has any questions they can email me at work.

Cheers,



Graeme MacKay
Editorial Cartoonist
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

www.mackaycartoons.net

Pablo said...

Thanks, finally, to faithful reader 'LGF Watch Watcher' for bringing this to our attention. We appreciate your help.

You're welcome, but I was only a conduit for the message.

It's good to occassionally be reminded to mind one's manners.