Little Green Footballs

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Stupid, insane, or mendacious?

We're not sure which adjective best describes Charles Johnson's decision to use the following headline:

TIME Reporter: Hizballah Has Our Passports

... just above a blockquote which includes the following [emphasis added]:
The Party of God has a copy of every journalist’s passport, and they’ve already hassled a number of us and threatened one.

Furthermore, if Charles had bothered to visit Allbritton's site, he would have read the following:
On several right-wing blogs, including the National Review Online, a comment I made about Hizbullah’s security measures and their “hassling” of journalists has been taken to mean that we’re all Hizbullah stooges here … or something. This is not true.

What I wrote was this: “To the south, along the curve of the coast, Hezbollah is launching Katyushas, but I’m loathe to say too much about them. The Party of God has a copy of every journalist’s passport, and they’ve already hassled a number of us and threatened one.”

[...]

I do not have a Hizbullah “press pass,” as one commenter suggested. They do not hold my passport (they have a photocopy, presumably.) [Emphasis added] I have neither sought nor received permission from any Hizbullah people to cover anything. No one has prevented me from covering anything. The Palestinians in Rachidiye Refugee Camp did prevent me from taking pictures of their gunmen, although I could still interview them. Everything I’ve reported I’ve either seen with my own eyes, or it has come from trusted non-Hizbullah sources.

That Charles Johnson -- of all people -- can't discern the difference between a photocopy of a document and the document itself speaks volumes about his credibility.

Extra bonus comment stupidity:
#2 Caliphornian 8/8/2006 12:24PM PDT

Sounds like you need to change addresses, there, Bubba. Anyone know if you can use a false address, or a business address on a passport?

As anyone who's ever been issued a U.S. passport knows (a category that obviously excludes the lizard in question), the holder's address is not printed on it anywhere.

No comments: